CITY

Here’s where you can attend a 9/11 memorial service in the Syracuse area

Jonathan Colon | Staff Photographer

Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner and other city officials observe a moment of silence at last year's 9/11 ceremony in downtown Syracuse.

Monday marks the 16th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in New York City, Washington, D.C., and Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

Here’s a list of some of the memorial services being held in the Syracuse area:

Syracuse
What: The Syracuse Police and Fire Honor Guards will be present at a candlelighting ceremony in downtown Syracuse. Attendees will observe a 17-minute moment of silence from 8:46 to 9:03 a.m., symbolizing the time between the striking of the north and south towers of the World Trade Center.
Where: Firefighter’s Memorial Park
When: 8:30 a.m.

Syracuse University
What: Hendricks Chapel’s Main Chapel will open for prayer and meditation Monday, giving the Syracuse University community the opportunity to reflect on the anniversary of the terrorist attacks.
Where: Hendricks Chapel
When: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

All Saints Church – Syracuse
What: A journalist and author will speak at the first lecture in a series honoring Mychal Judge, a New York City Fire Department chaplain and first responder who was killed while ministering at the World Trade Center on 9/11. Seamus Kirst, the inaugural speaker, will reflect on his journey to sobriety and self-discovery.
Where: All Saints Church, located at 1340 Lancaster Ave.
When: 7 p.m.

St. James Church – Syracuse
What: St. James Church will host a prayer for peace Monday night.
Where: St. James Church, located at 4845 S. Salina St.
When: 7 p.m.

DeWitt
What: There will be a 5K run beginning and ending at the 9/11 memorial outside the DeWitt Town Hall.
Where: DeWitt Town Hall
When: 5:45 p.m.

What: DeWitt will hold a wreath ceremony also at the 9/11 memorial outside the DeWitt Town Hall. Members of the DeWitt Police Honor Guard will perform a rifle salute in remembrance of those killed on 9/11. The event will also include music, refreshments and speakers.
Where: DeWitt Town Hall
When: 6:30 p.m.

Cicero
What: The Cicero Fire Department will host a memorial service and open house at its fire station on Brewerton Road. The department will display fire memorabilia, give tours of the fire station, conduct a vehicle rescue demonstration and hold a brief service at the 9/11 memorial behind the station.
Where: Cicero Fire Station 1, located at 8377 Brewerton Road
When: 6 p.m.