Volleyball

Syracuse blown out by No. 6 Wisconsin in straight sets

Sabrina Koenig | Asst. Photo Editor

In the third set, Wisconsin totaled more kills (18) than Syracuse had the entire match (15).

Syracuse (2-3) lost to No. 6 Wisconsin (3-0) Friday afternoon in the Kansas State tournament in Manhattan, Kansas. The Orange fell in straight sets, 9-25, 14-25, 16-25.

In a sluggish day offensively for Syracuse, Jalissa Trotter was the only player on the team to earn an assist, totaling 14 on the day. Santita Ebangwese led the team with four kills, while Amber Witherspoon paced the Orange defensive effort with three blocks. Wisconsin bested Syracuse in nearly every statistical category, dominating in hit percentage (.449 to .033) and service aces (10 to 1).

Coming off an undefeated weekend in the Big Ten/Atlantic Coast Conference challenge that saw the Badgers beat Louisville and reigning ACC champion North Carolina in two straight-set victories, Wisconsin jumped out to a 16-2 lead in the first set. Syracuse played close the rest of the opening set but couldn’t overcome the early disadvantage. The Badgers used five aces and a .524 hit percentage en route to a 25-9 first-set win.

The Orange began the second set with a 3-2 lead before Wisconsin immediately recovered, using a 4-0 run to retake the lead and control of the match. The stretch continued for the Badgers, who took an 18-8 lead before Syracuse called a timeout. Just like the first set, the Orange played well at the back end but the early deficit proved too much to handle. Five more aces by Wisconsin and inefficiency by Syracuse (-.051 hit percentage through the first two sets) doomed the Orange, which fell behind two sets to none.

The third set was the best of the day for Syracuse, which played the Badgers shot for shot through the first 15 points. That’s when Wisconsin, holding an 8-7 lead, began a strong stretch offensively to take control of both the set and match. The Badgers closed the game with a 17-9 run in which many of the points came at the net. Wisconsin ended with 18 kills in the third set alone, more than the Orange totaled in the game (15).

Syracuse will continue play in the Kansas State tournament later today with a matchup against the host team at 8:30 p.m.