Environment Column

Climate change believer heads committee for 1st time in decade

Sarah Allam | Head Illustrator

Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-Texas) was elected to lead the the House of Representatives’ Science, Space and Technology Committee.

For the first time in a decade, the House of Representatives’ Science, Space and Technology Committee will be led by an official who believes in climate change, Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-Texas).

It’s big step in a positive direction for the scientific community and the welfare of the planet.

Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas), the outgoing chair, was anti-science, did not believe in climate change and pushed for reforms that hindered scientific development. Thankfully, Johnson is known to be a strong advocate for environmental issues.

“I think it will be a big step forward to have Lamar Smith out of chairmanship,” said Peter Wilcoxen, a professor at Syracuse University and director of the Center for Environmental Policy and Administration at SU. “He has been very unhelpful in the use of science, in the government and certainly in speaking about the science of climate change.”

One issue was Smith’s introduction of the Secret Science Reform Act. The act prohibited government agencies — the Environmental Protection Agency, in particular — from using any scientific studies in regulatory policy in which all of the study’s data was not in the public domain. That was extremely detrimental to scientific advancement.

Like many other aspects of American government, Smith’s choices as chair were labeled as highly politicized.

“He’s really run the science committee as a completely partisan political tool for harassing scientists and trying to twist EPA and other agencies into a ridiculously rigid framework in the way they use science,” Wilcoxen said.

Wilcoxen also said that Smith held extreme right-wing views that were not representative of the entire Republican Party.

While it’s unlikely that the committee will be able to successfully implement major environmental policy in the face of a still Republican-controlled Senate, this change in leadership is a great step for the scientific community.

Emily Cerrito is a sophomore television, radio and film major. Her column appears biweekly. You can reach her at ercerrit@syr.edu.